Mexican Touristic Places
-- VISIT MEXICO --
Mexico is the 11th country in the world by its territorial extension. It is a wonderful country with all sorts of ecosystems: deserts, mountains, jungles, etc. As well as its natural attractive, Mexico has cultural richness: colonial cities, archaeological places and much more.
Mexico is a country of great diversity: there are more than 60 native languages spoken.
As the territory is large there are huge differences in the different areas of Mexico. Read more ...
- North: Northern Mexico was less densely populated than central or southern Mexico. There are modern cities such as Monterrey, Saltillo, Chihuahua, Tampico, among others in this area.
- West-Central: The west-central area was inhabited mainly by Chichimeca ethnic groups, which were semi-nomadic. This aspect allowed Spanish settlers get more land because there were no larger native cities when they conquered this region. This part of Mexico was famous because of silver and gold mines in the states of Zacatecas, San Luis Potosi, Guanajuato and Queretaro.
- Central: Cetral zone includes Mexico City. This region was densely populated and cultivated at the time of Spanish conquest. The capital of the country is Mexico city, which was the main city of the Aztec culture. This ethnic group dominated a vast area and multiple other ethnic groups. There are important cities like Toluca, Puebla, Mexico, Cuernavaca, etc. There are important archaeological zones such as Teotihuacan, Xochicalco, and Templo Mayor.
- South: Southern Mexico is predominantly a montainous zone. It has important harbors such as: Acapulco (Pacific Ocean), Veracruz (Gulf of Mexico), Puerto Progreso (Yucatan).
Mexico was under Spain rule since 1521 until 1821. During those years the Spaniards designed cities which were built by skilled native hands. Veracruz, Guanajuato, Campeche, Oaxaca, and a long list, are examples of cities where you will find beautiful houses, churches and forts.
Natural wonders include one of the cenotes in Yucatan peninsula which believed to be the place where a meteorite hit the Earth and caused the extinction of all dinosaurs. The forest in Michoacán state where monarch butterflies spend Winter is another example as well as the basaltic prisms in Hidalgo state.
- Nevado de Toluca, Estado de Mexico
- Cenotes de Chichen Itza, Yucatan
- Prismas Basalticos de Huasca, Hidalgo
- Barrancas del cobre, Chihuahua
The Mexican territory was inhabited before Spanish conquest by civilizations like the Mayan, the Aztec, the Teotihuacan. They shared common religion, architecture and other aspects. Pre-Columbian ceremonial sites are spread all over Mexico. Some examples are Teotihuacan, Chichen Itzá, Tulum, Monte Albán, etc.
Mexico has a variety of handcrafts on materials such as copper, wood, glass, and so on.